Who doesn’t love a fluffy potato dumpling in their soup or smothered in marinara? This classic Italian potato dumpling is a great accompaniment to chicken, pork, and fish, or served with fresh vegetables! The key to a great gnocchi is to make sure your potatoes are dry after they have baked and to mix your dough while the potatoes are still warm, not a tricky feat to accomplish both but it does require you to have everything in place and ready. The best part, the gnocchi’s can be stored in the freezer and cooked when you need them!
My great Aunt would bake us one of these decadent Austrian tortes for our birthday’s, and every time I make one it brings me back to growing up in Colorado. Make sure to splurge on the jam, it will make a difference.
This recipe uses almond and hazelnut meal, if you do not have them you can grind whole or slivered almonds and hazelnuts in a food processor until it is a fine consistency. The fresh ground almonds and hazelnuts adds a lot of flavor to this decadent dessert. We used a cast iron skillet instead of a tart pan to make our Linzer Torte but either can work.
Linzer Torte Dough
1/2# Butter (Room Temperature)
1/2# Brown Sugar
6.5oz AKI AP Flour^GF
2/3# Hazelnut Flour
2/3# Almond Flour
AN Your favorite jam, we used raspberry.
If you are making nut flours start here, if you already have nut flours skip this first step. This recipe will make more than you would need for the cast iron skillet that we used, which is about a 5″, so any extra can be wrapped well and stored in the freezer
- Place the roasted hazelnuts and almonds into a food processor and pulse until coarse, then add the AKI AP Flour^GF and pulse until you can get the nuts to a fine consistency. It is okay if the mixture is slightly coarse.
- Place butter and sugar in a bowl and cream together.
- Add the spices and to the creamed sugar and butter followed by one egg. Mix until incorporated then add the other egg and mix again until incorporated.
- Add the flour blend and mix until a uniform dough has formed. The dough should be fairly tacky, scrape the dough out of the bowl and onto a sheet of plastic wrap and roll it up. Store in the fridge until you are ready to use.
- When ready to make the torte, preheat oven to 350°F.
- Remove the dough from the fridge and plastic then cut a piece of the dough off. Dust the counter top with AKI AP Flour^GF and roll the piece of dough out to 1/4″ thickness.
- Place the dough in the tart pan or cast iron skillet and press it into any grooves. If baking in a skillet you want the dough to come up the sides about 3/4″.
- Place the jam on top of the dough, about 6oz, again that all depends on what type of vessel you are using to bake it in. Typically you want the same amount of filling as you have dough on the bottom. in this case about 1/4″.
- Roll out smaller pieces of dough and cut the lattices and place them on top of the jam.
- Place the skillet into the oven and bake until the jam is starting to bubble out of the gaps and the crust is golden. You will want the crust to be a little on the darker side to ensure the jam has set.
- Once cooled you can remove the torte from its vessel and place on a cooling rack until ready to serve, best to let cool on the rack for a few hours and even better after a few days.
AKI Culinary Giveaway!
One lucky winner will receive a $20 dollar e-certificate to the AKulinary online store. All you need to do is name any three (3) of the nine (9) cookbooks (title only) shown in the picture below. All entries must be submitted by March 7th at 11:59 pm ET.
All correct answers will be put into a magic hat and one (1) winner will be picked at random and the winner will be announced on Facebook.
See our wonderful product in use at Central Oregon Locavore on Thursday August 29th as they host this month’s Green Drinks in partnership with the environmental center. We have donated our AP Flour to be turned into a wonderful appetizer to be featured at the event this month.
I am proud to announce the start of my newest venture, premium gluten free flour and mixes. AKulinary Innovations is my new company that is devoted to creating high quality, purposeful, gluten free mixes for anyone and everyone that needs to remove gluten from their diet. My promise to you is that all of my products and recipes are of high quality and will produce the best tasting gluten free goodies.
Start your gluten free revolution with us!
- We are currently selling locally but if you are interested in our products we are just an email away and I will get you our product.