I love figs, and I love pancetta even more, so why not candy them together? With the last batch of pancetta coming out of the aging box, I was ready to play and experiment!
Candied Pancetta and White Figs
8ea Dried White Sierra Figs
1T Palm Sugar
1/4C Sherry Wine
1/4C Sherry Vinegar
- Begin by small dicing the pancetta, and slicing the figs into disc.
Sliced dried white figs.
- Place the pancetta in a pot over low heat and render.
- Brunoise the shallot and once the pancetta begins to color, add it to the pan.
- Once the shallot has started to brown and the pancetta is crispy turn the heat to low.
- Add the figs and palm sugar, stir until the sugar has dissolved
Palm sugar, similar color to brown sugar but wetter and it has a slight fruit and molasses flavor.
Sugar has dissolved
- Add the sherry wine and reduce by half
- Add the sherry vinegar and cook until it is at the desired acidity.
This has become one of my favorite condiments that can be used in a lot of dishes from pork to duck. Most recently I paired it with a foie gras torchon.