There is no reason why you can’t make your own yogurt; once you have your first batch going all you will need to buy is milk. You can use whole milk or go down to skim, the choice is up to you. Since I built my immersion circulator, it has been very easy to make yogurt and sour cream (creme fraiche). The circulated water bath gives you the opportunity to keep your yogurt at a consistent temperature throughout the whole process.
2T yogurt with cultures
- Combine 2T milk with yogurt
- Heat remaining milk to 185°F then cool to 110°F
- Whisk in the yogurt and milk mixture and cover with a moist towel
- Place mixture in 95°F oven or in a water bath for 8 hours
- Drain in cheesecloth for ~4 hours