Here is to St. Patrick’s Day, Sláinte!
Original chocolate cake recipe from Tom Douglas, improved with Guinness by Adam Kapela
Guinness Chocolate Cupcakes
2C AP Flour
1/4C Unsweetened cocoa pow
1/2t Baking Powder
1/2t Baking Soda
2ea Large Eggs (room temp)
1/3C Dark Brown Sugar
1C Canola Oil
2.5oz Bittersweet Chocolate, Melted
2t Vanilla extract
- Preheat oven to 350
- Whisk together 2T of flour and cocoa powder for dusting pans
- Combine remaining flour, cocoa powder, 1/2C Sugar, Baking powder, salt, and baking soda.
- Beat the eggs, brown sugar, and remaining white sugar until thick, about 5 minutes.
- Gradually add 1/2C of oil and beat for 3 minutes
- Add chocolate, then remaining oil.
- On low, beat in buttermilk, Guinness and vanilla
- Mix dry by hand
- DO NOT FORGET TO DRINK THE REST OF THE GUINNESS!
Italian Butter cream
12ea Egg Whites
1/4t Cream of Tartar
2.5# Butter, soft
- Combine sugar and water and cook to 235°F-240°F
- While the sugar solution boils place egg whites and cream of tartar in a mixer.
- Start mixing with a whisk when the sugar solution reaches 230°F
- Whip the whites to stiff peaks, then stream the hot sugar down the side of the bowl, into the egg whites.
- Whip until the bowl is cool to the touch.
- Cube your butter and once the sugar and egg solution is cool and butter in cubes, one at a time. Do not add more butter until the cube you put in has been incorporated.
- Once all of the butter is added stream in the Baileys.