These chips are very easy to make take just a little it of time. This process can also be used to make chips from other fruits like oranges, pears, lemons, etc. Two pieces of equipment that I feel are necessary for this recipe is a mandolin and a silpat.
1T Lemon Juice
- Preheat your oven to the lowest setting, ideally looking for 140°F-150°F. You may also use a dehydrator for the drying process.
- Combine the water, sugar, and lemon juice in a pot and bring to a boil.
- Peel the apple and slice as thin as possible on the mandolin. Remove the boiling syrup from the stove, add the sliced apples
- Let the apples steep for ten minutes. In the meantime, lay your silpat on a flat baking tray and make sure it is clean.
- Strain the apples, reserving the syrup for another round, and lay the apples out on the silpat.
- Place the apples into the oven and let them dry for three hours. The apples will still be soft when they come out of the oven, they need to cool at room temp to get crispy.