Red velvet has always been a strange cake to me, I don’t know why: it may be the amount of the food coloring in it, or it could be the vinegar that you add in the end. Either way, all of the ingredients make sense and have a purpose and I am a fan of red velvet, although next time I think I will use beet juice to color the cake. I am in the process of doing a wedding cake tasting and that is what sparked this post.
Red Velvet Cake
2.5C Cake Flour
.25C Cocoa Powder
1.5t Baking Soda
1.5C Granulated Sugar
2ea Large Eggs
2T Red Food Coloring
- Measure and sift the first four ingredients into a large bowl.
- In a separate bowl, combine sugar and oil, mix well.
- Add eggs, food coloring, and vanilla and mix until combined.
- Alternate adding dry ingredients and buttermilk until combined.
- Add vinegar.
- Bake at 350°F until firm to touch and a toothpick comes out clean.
I usually bake my cakes in sheets, that way I can cut the shape that I want and stack from there. I feel it can be more consistent and easier to store than a large round or square shaped cake.